John Jones and Mary James, Clydau, Cilrhedin and Bryn, Llanelli
John Jones may have been baptised as John the son of Thomas John and wife Hannah on November 23 1798 in
Clydey (Clydau) Pembrokeshire. In the 1851 census John Jones (50) Head, Farm Labourer born Pen...(?), Carmarthenshire was in Trallwn,
Llanelli, Carmarthenshire with Mary (56) Wife. In the 1861 census John Jones was described as a thatcher aged 62, born Clyde, Pembrokeshire with wife Mary (64) born
Kilrhedin, Carmarthenshire. The baptisms of a number of children of John Jones and Mary James of Clydey are recorded in the register of
Rock Dissenting Congregational Chapel, Trelech a'r Bettws, Carmarthenshire. Their birthdays are shown.
- Jonathan Jones
Born Clydey 15 May 1821. Not with parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census. Possibly remained in the Trelech a'r Betws area as a farmer with a wife Margaret some 15 years older than him.
This couple did not appear to have had any children.
- Rachel Jones
Born Clydey c. 1822 - on census not baptism. Not with parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census. In 1851 she is with her parents as Rachel (28) Daughter At Home.
- Mary Jones
Born Clydey 9 September 1823. Not with parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census.
- Anne Jones
Born Clydey 13 March 1826. Not with parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census.
- Michael Jones
Born Clydey 15 October 1828. With parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census. He is in the 1851 census with his parents as Michael (23) Son Coal
- Thomas Jones
Born Clydey 2 June 1831. With parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census. Thomas is significant as we find him living in Ebbw Vale from the
1861 census onwards as a neighbour of the Bevan family. In 1881, for example, he was at Queen Street (a renamed Contractors Row?), (46) profession
engine driver, with wife Mary Richards (46) born Dowlais. Thomas had died by 1891 leaving widow Mary, son Thomas (18) and daughter Margaret (15).
- John Richard Jones engine driver born Victoria, Ebbw Vale c.1861. In 1891 John R. Jones (29) stationary engine driver
living next door
to his mother with
wife Edith (28) (probably Edith Evans) born
London (in the 1901 and 1911 censuses given as Shepherdess Walk, Shoreditch likely to Thomas Evans, a Tinman, and wife Rebecca) and two children
Thomas Richard Jones (c.1885- ) and Evan Rees Jones (c.1888- ) born Victoria and Waunlwyd, Ebbw Vale. Edith
was the only non-Welsh speaker, virtually all the others being bilingual apart
from Welsh-only Mary. By 1901 they were in Six Bells,
when John R was a colliery
mechanical engineer and in Pwll, Llanelli
Carmarthenshire in the 1911 census when the two sons had ceased to speak Welsh.
(Note Edith Evans is found in the 1871 census living with her father's sister Sarah Ann North and husband Silas North in Dawley, Shropshire. The North
family were in Augusta Street, Bedwellty in 1881 where Silas was a baker and confectioner).
- Mary Ann Jones (1864-1917) who married coal hewer Frederick C Cheedy (1862-1936, born Clandown, Somerset) in 1890. They were at 10 Windsor Road, Six Bells, Abertillery in 1911
- David John Cheedy (July 19 1891-1970) married Edith Jane Reed (1891-1960) in 1912. They had Gwyn R Cheedy (1913-1922), Frederick John Cheedy (1916-1976, died Cwmbran) who married
Letitia Woosnam (12 April 1929- 9 April 1997) in 1949 and Colin Cheedy (1924-1931, died Blaina).
Knocked down by a motor-car at Blaina, Monmouthshire, Gwyn Cheedy, aged nine, was killed, and Ivor Langdon, aged 10, seriously injured. (Hartlepool Mail, December 1 1922)
- Ceinwen Cheedy (May 2 1894- August 26 1972). Ceinwen was at 10 Windsor Road, Six Bells, Abertillery (Pontypool District) in 1939 and 1972.
- Winifred Cheedy (Sep 14 1897-1965) married Aneurin Clarence Spencer (Nov 25 1893- Jan 11 1965, died at 7 Tircoed Road, Glanaman, Carmarthenshire) in 1919.
They were at 28 Coronation Street, Nantyglo in the 1939 Register
when Aneurin was a road sweeper and 41 Bourneville Road, Blaina, Monmouthshire prior to Aneurin's death. They had Marie Spencer (July 29 1920-1997), a shop assistant in 1939, who
married third-cousin James Thomas
(1920- ) from Glanaman, Carmarthenshire and had Meryl S Thomas (1944-2011).
- Doris Cheedy (August 31 1901-1973) married Walter Poskitt (March 11 1901-1973) in 1930. Doris Poskitt of 10 Windsor Road, Six Bells, Abertillery, Mon died
10 December 1973.
- William Thomas Cheedy (1905-1905). Note that the 1911 census names him but also states that one child had died.
(Probably) Alice Jones
- Alice Jones (c.1868- Feb 1926) born Victoria, Ebbw Vale. In the 1891 census a domestic servant aged 22 in the household of Titus Phillips at 1 Church Street,
Abertillery. She married widower John Evans (c. 1862 - ) in Pontypool in 1897 and lived at 11 Chapel Road, Six Bells, Abertillery in 1911. They had:
- Marion Evans (25 Sep 1898-1971). She married Thomas Morgan in 1932 and was living at Llwyncelyn, Glanaman, Carmarthenshire in 1939.
- Thomas Herber Evans (Feb 8 1902- Feb 4 1978). Thomas H Evans, Colliery Labourer,
was still at 11 Chapel Road in 1939 with Gladys Evans (14 April 1889- ) - John Evans' daughter from his first marriage.
- Edith Ceridwen Evans (1905-?1927).
Thomas Herber Evans
- David Rees Jones (1869-), born Victoria, Ebbw Vale.
- Thomas William Jones (c.1872), born Victoria, Ebbw Vale. A boiler maker in Queen Street in 1891 and a colliery fitter with brother John R.
in Abertillery in 1901. In 1911 he was a colliery engine fitter in Abertillery with wife Edith Emily Thomas (1874- , born Briton Ferry)
and musician nephew Frederick Dalrymple (1889-1963, subsequently organist at Canton Parish Church). Thomas and Edith had married on March 9 1905 at the parish church in Llanhilleth,
witnessed by J R Jones and Florence Mary Trotman.
- Margaret Jones (c.1876), born Victoria, Ebbw Vale.
- Hannah Jones
Hannah Jones born Clydey 22 June 1833. With parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census. Hannah (18) is in the 1851 census as Daughter Tin Worker and (25) in the 1861 census.
John Jones' grandson Evan (4) born in Llanelli appears in the 1861 census. In the 1871 census Evan John (1856-1931) is shown as Hannah's son. Hannah married William D. John (1841-1915) in 1865 and had
Mary Jane John (c.1866- ), David E. John (1872- ) and Rees John (1875-1919) in Maesteg, Glamorgan. They emigrated to the USA
in 1882 (see ). Hannah's son Evan remained in Maesteg (see above link for more).
- David Jones
With parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census. David (15) is in the 1851 census as Son Tin Worker.
David Jones, an engine tender, was a lodger with Thomas Jones in Victoria, Ebbw Vale in 1861.
- Margaret Jones
With parents in Llanelli in the 1841 census. Margaret Jones is in the 1851 census as (10) Daughter.
- Samuel Jones
Samuel Jones (7) appears in the 1851 census with his parents and (18) born Llanelli in the 1861 census. See
- Evan Jones and his descendants in Llanelli (Carmarthenshire) and Victoria (British Columbia)
Elizabeth Ann Jones, Samuel's granddaughter, remembered visiting one of his brothers in Llanelli before the first world war. This
was probably Evan Jones (c.1846-1916) who married Elizabeth Morgans (1849- ) and lived at 27 and then 33 St Davids Street, Sea Side, Llanelli Carmarthenshire.
In the 1911 census Evan was shown as a dock labourer, aged 60, having been married for 40 years. Elizabeth was shown as aged 61 having had
11 children of whom 4 were alive. Their children included:
To contribute, query or comments please contact us through email@example.com
Wills and Probate Records: A Guide for Family Historians
Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837
The Genealogist's Internet: The Essential Guide to Researching Your Family History Online
Family Photographs 1860-1945 (Public Record Office Genealogist's Guides)
Family Photographs and How to Date Them
Writing Your Family History: A Practical Guide