John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins as a young couple
John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins in later life
The Family of John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins, Abercanaid
John Walter Price (Jack) was the son of Thomas James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas. He was born at Wern Cottage, Llanfihangel Talyllyn, Breconshire (now Powys) on May 1 1885. He died in Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan on December 4 1959.
John Walter Price at work (centre rear)
In the 1911 census he was a colliery clerk living at 26 Nightingale St, Abercanaid with bilingual wife Lilian Jenkins (c.1891-1939) and 8 month-old daughter. They had married at St. John's Church, Troedyrhiw on January 12 1910. Two of his brothers Arthur Price and Sidney were lodging with them. The Price brothers were unusual in speaking English only in what was then a largely bilingual community. Lilian Jenkins (Lily) was born at 60 Nightingale St, Abercanaid on March 31 1891. She died in February 1939.
LATE MRS. L. PRICE. - The death has occurred at Merthyr Infirmary of Mrs. Lilian Price, wife of Mr. John W. Price, 13, Newton-street, and late of Gethin Cottage, Abercanaid. Mrs. Price was aged 47, and was a communicant of St. Peter's Church. The funeral took place on Saturday, interment being made at Glyntaf Crematorium, Pontypridd. The Rev. J.P Evans (vicar) officiated. The mourners were: Mr. J. W. Price (husband); Messrs Ronald and Donald Price (sons); Thomas Howells (uncle); T. Jenkins (brother); George Price (brother-in-law); William Rogers and Lewis Davies (sons-in-law); Clifford Jenkins (nephew); W. Howard and George Howells (cousins). Bearers were Messrs T. Bowen, C. Collard, John Skym and Ivor Jones. At the house the mourners included: Mrs. M. Rogers, Mrs H. Davies, Misses Hettie, Ethel, Belva, Tessie and Rhoswen Price (daughters); Mrs. E. Howells (aunt); Mrs. Megan Price (daughter-in-law); Mrs. Eliz. Price (sister-in-law); Mrs. Agnes Edwards (cousin). The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. Alfred James, undertaker, Merthyr. (Merthyr Express 04 March 1939).
John Walter Price's family - (On back) Dai Bowen, Don Price, Ron Price, Ethel and Hettie, Rhoswen, Tessie
Nightingale Street in the early 1900s
In an article entitled 'Village Life in Abercanaid 1905-1925' (Merthyr Historian Vol 6, Merthyr Historical Society 1992) Edward Rhys-Price - not a known relative - describes conditions in Nightingale Street in the early years of the 20th century. He was born at no. 64.
(p.43) "In my boyhood the population of Abercanaid was about 1000.Practically all the houses had been built around 1850 of grey stone from the local quarries, but some of the squares of houses had been built some years earlier for the men working on the Merthyr to Cardiff canal which was opened in 1790. The houses followed the usual pattern of miners' cottages at that time, consisting of a living-room, one bedroom and pantry downstairs, with two bedrooms upstairs. The living room served as kitchen and sitting room as well. It was heated by a coal-fired range where all the cooking was done and was lit by a hanging oil-lamp. The bedrooms were lit by candles. Gas lighting was installed in the 1920s (...)"
Other salient points: (p. 44) One tap in the house ... washing done in a wooden tub ... each miner's family received 15 hundredweight per month of coal, so the house was kept warm ... flagstone flooring, sanded down on Fridays ... later covered with home-made rag mats and later with lino ... father rented an allotment for vegetables on the hillside.
Children of John Walter and Lilian
- Maggie Madia Price (Maida) (1910-2000) was born at 26 Nightingale St, Abercanaid on August 25 1910. She married William Charles Rogers (February 20 1911-1994; born Southwold, Suffolk) at St. Peter's Church, Abercanaid on June 8 1935 (later living at 24 Violet Place, Whitchurch, Cardiff). In 1939 he was was a Potato Salesman Wholesale & Retail and a part-time ARP warden. They had a living son.
Maggie Madia Price's wedding - (On back) Front row: Dad, Bill, self, Hettie, Ron. Middle: Mam, Ma in Law, Pa in Law. Behind: Don and 'Hettie's boy.'
ABERCANAID - LOCAL WEDDING. - A pretty wedding was solemnised at St. Peter's Church, Abercanaid, on Saturday. The contracting parties were Mr. William C. Rogers, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, The Philog, Whitchurch, and Miss Maida Price, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Price, Gethin Cottage, Abercanaid. The Rev. Eddy Jenkins officiated. The organist (Mrs. Budd) played the "Wedding March." The bride, who was given away by her father, was attired in a dress of Jubilee effect, with hat and shoes to tone, and carried a bouquet of red carnations. The bridesmaid, MIss Hetty Price (sister of the bride) was attired in Margaret rose pink, with beige hat and shoes, and carried a bouquet of pink carnations. The best man was Mr. Ronald Price and the groomsmen were Messrs. Donald Price and Tal Bowen. Among others present were Mr. and Mrs. Rogers (bridegroom's parents); Mrs. Lily Price (bride's mother); Mr. and Mrs. James, Redcroft, Cardiff; Mrs. E. Owen, Cymmer Afan, and Mrs. Jones, London. The reception was held at the bride's home, and the happy couple later left for Ilfracombe, where the honeymoon is being spent. They were the recipients of many presents. (Merthyr Express 15 June 1935).
- Ronald Mervyn Price was born February 15 1912 at 64 Nightingale St, Abercanaid. He married Megan Price (August 28 1914-March 11 2000) on March 5 1938. They were at Gethin Cottage in 1939 when Ronald was a colliery lampman above ground. Also there was Megan's brother Emlyn Price (January 22 1902-March 1989). Megan's parents were Thomas James Price (1875- ) and Elizabeth Evans (1877- ). There is no apparent relationship between the two Price families. (Note that on the 1939 Register there is a later entry which indicates that someone has confused Megan with a Megan Sybil Price, also born in August 1914. Consequently the index shows her as Megan Sybil Elliott (Price) with the married name of the incorrect Megan).
MOTOR CYCLE ACCIDENT. - Mr. Ronald Price, Gethin Cottage, Abercanaid, whilst returning home on his motor-cycle on Monday evening, with Miss Megan Price, Gethin-street, riding pillion, was involved in a collision whilst on the Swansea-road with some mountain ponies. They were conveyed to the Merthyr General Hospital and detained. (Merthyr Express 15 August 1936).Ronald joined the RAF in 1941. They were living at 27 Carlton Terrace, Troedyrhiw, Merthyr Tydfil in the 1950s. He died on September 16 1988 in Troedyrhiw.
MISS MEGAN PRICE WEDS. - The wedding took place on Saturday at St Peter's Church, Abercanaid, of Miss Megan Price, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. T.J. Price , Newton-street, and Mr. Ronald Mervyn Price, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Price, Gethin Cottage, Abercanaid. The service, which was choral, was conducted by the Rev. J.J. Evans (vicar), assisted by the Rev. G. Rees, Maesteg, and the organist was Mrs. A. Budd. Given away by her brother, the bride wore an ankle-length gown of white satin with veil held in place by a coronet of orange blossoms. She carried a bouquet of dark roses. The bridesmaids were Miss Janet Morgan and Miss Hetty Price (sister of bridegroom). They wore dresses of pale blue lace with headresses and shoes to match, and carried prayer books, the gift of the bridegroom. The flower girl, Rhoswen Price (sister of bridegroom) wore a dress of primson colour, with Juliet cap and muff. The best man was Mr. Donald Price (twin brother of bridegroom), and the groomsman was Mr. T. Bowen. The reception at Maesygraig, Chapel-street, the residence of the bride's aunt, was attended by 50 guests. Mr. and Mrs. Price will make their home at Newton-street, Abercanaid. (Merthyr Express 12 March 1938 - with two corrected names).
Donald Price and Morfydd Griffiths
- Donald Bertram Price (1912-1975) was an Engineer at Guest Keen & Nettlefolds, born February 15 1912 at 64 Nightingale St, Abercanaid, died May 30 1975 in Scunthorpe. On October 11 1941 at Pengam he married Morfydd Griffiths (1920-2003) (died as Morfydd Ibbotson on 10th July 2003 at Leicester Hospital). They had David Price (1943-1992) and a living daughter.
- Hilda Mary Price born January 16 1915 at 64 Nightingale St, Abercanaid. She married Lewis John Davies (July 2 1911-1994) on November 1 1932 at Merthyr Tydfil Registry Office. Paul Davies (October 24 1938 - 1942) was with them in the 1939 Register when Lewis was a retail fruit salesman. Hilda died in Yarram Hospital, Victoria, Australia on October 14 1988.
- Hettie Price born November 19 1916 at 64 Nightingale St, Abercanaid. She married Taliesin James Bowen (1915- July 28 1976) at St. Peters, Abercanaid on June 3 1939. Hettie died on November 27 2004 at Modbury Hospital, South Australia. They had a living daughter.
- Ethel Belenda Price born October 3 1920 at 64 Nightingale St, Abercanaid. She married David Brinley Hamer (1922-1980) at St. Peters, Abercanaid on September 13 1941. Ethel died in Ystrad Mynach on August 20 1982.
- Belva Eileen Price born May 8 1923 at 60 Nightingale St, Abercanaid. She died on April 6 1941 at 13 Newton St, Abercanaid.
LATE MISS B E PRICE. - After a long illness the death took place on Sunday of Miss Belva Eileen Price, age 17, the daughter of Mr. J. W. Price and the late Mrs. Lilian Price, of 13, Newton-street, Abercanaid. The funeral took place on Wednesday last at Cefn Cemetery, the Rev. L. Payne (vicar) officiating. The mourners were Mr. J. W. Price (father); Messrs. Ronald and Donald Price (brothers); Mr. George Price (uncle); Messrs. L. Davies and Tal Bowen ((brothers-in-law). At the house were Maida, Hettie, Hilda, Ethel, Tessie and Rhoswen (sisters); Mrs. H. Howells and Mrs. E. Price (aunts). The bearers were Messrs. H. Sleeman, Wm Lewis, J. Bryant and Dd Hamer. Wreaths were sent by Rhoswen, Tessie, Ethel and Dad; Maida and Bill; Ron, Don and Megan; Hilda and Lewis; Hettie and Tal; Aunt Helen and Uncle Tom; George and Lizzie; Miss K. L. Morgan; Mr. and Mrs. Hamer; Mrs. England and Olly; Church and Sunday School; Civil post No. 19; Y.W.C.A. and the neighbours. Letters of sympathy were received from the Borough Police (per Sergt. Harold Pugh), and from the A.R.P. Post 10 (per P.C. Caleb Evans). Mr. Price and family desire to thank all. (Merthyr Express 19 April 1941).
- Lilian Teresa Price (Tess) (1926-1997) born November 27 1926 at 64 Nightingale St, Abercanaid. who married Stanley Prosser Thomas (June 26 1924-February 1 1998) at St. Peters, Abercanaid on April 10 1948. She died in Swansea on January 2 1997.
John Walter Price and family at Tess' wedding in 1948
- A living daughter who married Charles Eric M Hatch (1919-1983).
- John Gethin Price born August 11 1931 at Gethin Cottage, Abercanaid. He died on September 22 1931.
John Walter Price married again to Hilda Ethel Mullen Hill (nee Overton) (1888-) on January 2 1942 at St. Peters Church, Abercanaid.
The Price siblings (with Megan Price and Morfydd Griffiths)
To contribute, query or comment please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
More Genealogy Articles
|Tracing Family History|
|Your Family History|
|Organizing Family History|
|The Victorian Apprentice|
|The Victorian Character Reference|
|Victorian Appointments - including the Admiralty and Custom House|
|More Victorian Appointments - including the Inland Revenue, Post Office, Bank of England and East India House|
|A Victorian Domestic Servant|
|The Victorian Employment Relationship|
|Walter Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Lucy Penny nee Leach|
|Daniel Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Philip Walter and Susannah Trotman|
|William Gillett - Brailes, Warwickshire|
|John Gillett - Brailes and Cheltenham|
|The Family of Mary Walter and Edwin Oliver Locke|
|Albert Walter - Illinois|
|Hugh and Robert Walter - Kansas|
|David Walter - Babcary and Swansea|
|Family of Thomas Rosser of Coychurch, Glamorgan|
|Caroline Walter and William Whittle|
|Benjamin Walter - Slough and Eton|
|Gaius Penny Walter - Somerton and Southsea|
|Susanna Walter and Philip George Hayes|
|Jacob Walter and Eliza Gillett|
|Henry Walter - Liverpool|
|Jacob Walter - London and Liverpool|
|Harold Philip Mcleod Walter|
|Horne Family - Careby, Lincolnshire|
|The Horne Family of Combe, Oxfordshire|
|Caroline Williams - St Hilary, Glamorgan|
|William Thomas Davies - Brynaman, Glamorgan and Perth, WA|
|Davies Family - Lower Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|John James, Grosmont|
|James Price and Jane James - Cwmyoy and Grosmont|
|Tom James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins, Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil|
|William and Mary Williams, Cayo|
|John and Susanna Davies, Llansadwrn, Cayo|
|Arthur Price and Elizabeth Ann Davies, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen|
|Thomas family, Oakfield, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|Prosser family, Talgarth|
|John Jones and Rebecca Thomas, Cwmaman|
|Thomas and Jemimah Jones - Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|Thomas Family - Banwen, Glanaman, Carmarthenshire|
|John Jones and Mary James, Clydau, Cilrhedin, Llanelli|
|Rees Rees of South Wales, Illinois and Iowa|
|Samuel and Sarah Jones - Llanelli, Ebbw Vale, Glanaman|
|Hannah and William D John - South Wales and Scranton, Pa|
|Daniel Jones and Anne Rees|
|Mary Jones and Watkin Williams|
|Barber Family of South Stoneham|
|Letter from Elizabeth Saffhill 1927|
|Saffhill Family Tree|
Wills and Probate Records: A Guide for Family Historians
Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837
The Genealogist's Internet: The Essential Guide to Researching Your Family History Online
Family Photographs 1860-1945 (Public Record Office Genealogist's Guides)
Family Photographs and How to Date Them
Writing Your Family History: A Practical Guide