The Family of Susannah Walter and George Philip Hayes
A genealogical account of the family of Susanna and George Philip Hayes
Wesleyan Chapel, Somerton
Susanna Walter (1850-1913) was the daughter of Walter Walter and Ann Leach Penny of Babcary, Somerset, England. Susanna Walter aged 20 is listed in the 1871 census in Babcary described as a governess and living with Ann and Walter Walter and brother Gaius. That year she was the informant (present at death) on the death certificate of her grandmother Lucy Penny who died in Babcary and was subsequently buried in St Michaels, Somerton. Susanna was a beneficiary in Lucy's will. In 1881 she was governess in the household of the Hill family, farmers in Tarrant Hinton, Dorset.
Giving her name as Susan and without noting that her father was deceased she married George Philip Hayes (b.1858 Yeovil; died 1920 New Forest) in the Wesleyan Chapel, Somerton in October 1886, witnessed by her brother Jacob and George's sister Ellen Elizabeth Hayes. George was a draper and clothier from Ashcott, Somerset, the son of John Hayes (1830-1917) a candle manufacturer and his wife Elizabeth (1831-1913).
In 1891 they were living in Street in the Glastonbury area and the household included Albert Walter (12) a visitor born in Wales (Susanna's brother David's son). Perhaps coincidentally one of the boarders and drapery assistants was Julia Richards (25) from Pontypridd.
In 1901 Susanna, George, Ivy and Walter were living in King Street, Wimborne Minster, Dorset. By 1911, they had moved to High Street, Rickmansworth, William had returned and Walter had left. Susanna died in Watford District in June 1913.
Descendants of George and Susanna
- William Hugh George Hayes (April 24 1888-1954; died Islington) married Emily Arbery (October 11 1891-1974; died Islington) in Yeovil in June Quarter 1914 and had children including:
- John Hugh George Hayes (born 22nd November 1914; registered March 1915; died 14 May 1984). John Hugh Hayes married Dawn Lloyd Weston (1917-March 31 2005; died Sedgemoor) in Upton in 1946. Dawn was a nurse in training at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham in 1939. John's address on probate was 2 Martins Close, Berrow, Burnham on Sea, Somerset. They had two daughters and a son.
Maxwell P. Hayes, of London, and John Hayes, of Upton-on-Severn were each fined £2 for poaching.
P.C. Davey, of Twining, said he saw the two men get over a fenced portion of Brockeridge Common. They had in their possession a shot gun and a sack containing ferrets.
Both men pleaded guilty and wrote that they had no idea that shooting on common land was illegal.
The gun was confiscated. (Gloucestershire Echo, February 20 1948).
- William Robert Hayes (October 22 1916-April 8 1981) Address of Old Exchange, Grittleton, Chippenham, Wiltshire on probate.
- Maxwell Phillip Hayes (April 14 1919-2003; died Ashford, Kent).
- Ivy Marian Hayes (March 16 1889-February 7 1979). Address of Westerley, King Edward Road, Minehead, Somerset on probate.
- Walter Benson Hayes (April 26 1890-July 13 1950) who married Laura Elizabeth Urquhart (July 31 1879-June 5 1968) in New Forest district in September quarter 1917. They had no children. In 1939 they had a drapery shop in Plumstead Common Road, Woolwich, London. His probate describes him as being of 'The Ashcott Inn, Ascott, Somersetshire who died 13 July 1950 at 17 Brunswick-terrace Weymouth Dorset.' Laura died with the address of 16 Gordon Road, Weston-super-mare.
To contribute, query or comment please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
More Genealogy Articles
|Tracing Family History|
|Your Family History|
|Organizing Family History|
|The Victorian Apprentice|
|The Victorian Character Reference|
|Victorian Appointments - including the Admiralty and Custom House|
|More Victorian Appointments - including the Inland Revenue, Post Office, Bank of England and East India House|
|A Victorian Domestic Servant|
|The Victorian Employment Relationship|
|Walter Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Lucy Penny nee Leach|
|Daniel Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Philip Walter and Susannah Trotman|
|William Gillett - Brailes, Warwickshire|
|John Gillett - Brailes and Cheltenham|
|The Family of Mary Walter and Edwin Oliver Locke|
|Albert Walter - Illinois|
|Hugh and Robert Walter - Kansas|
|David Walter - Babcary and Swansea|
|Family of Thomas Rosser of Coychurch, Glamorgan|
|Caroline Walter and William Whittle|
|Benjamin Walter - Slough and Eton|
|Gaius Penny Walter - Somerton and Southsea|
|Susanna Walter and Philip George Hayes|
|Jacob Walter and Eliza Gillett|
|Henry Walter - Liverpool|
|Jacob Walter - London and Liverpool|
|Harold Philip Mcleod Walter|
|Horne Family - Careby, Lincolnshire|
|The Horne Family of Combe, Oxfordshire|
|Caroline Williams - St Hilary, Glamorgan|
|William Thomas Davies - Brynaman, Glamorgan and Perth, WA|
|Davies Family - Lower Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|John James, Grosmont|
|James Price and Jane James - Cwmyoy and Grosmont|
|Tom James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins, Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil|
|William and Mary Williams, Cayo|
|John and Susanna Davies, Llansadwrn, Cayo|
|Arthur Price and Elizabeth Ann Davies, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen|
|Thomas family, Oakfield, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|Prosser family, Talgarth|
|John Jones and Rebecca Thomas, Cwmaman|
|Thomas and Jemimah Jones - Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|Thomas Family - Banwen, Glanaman, Carmarthenshire|
|John Jones and Mary James, Clydau, Cilrhedin, Llanelli|
|Rees Rees of South Wales, Illinois and Iowa|
|Samuel and Sarah Jones - Llanelli, Ebbw Vale, Glanaman|
|Hannah and William D John - South Wales and Scranton, Pa|
|Daniel Jones and Anne Rees|
|Mary Jones and Watkin Williams|
|Barber Family of South Stoneham|
|Letter from Elizabeth Saffhill 1927|
|Saffhill Family Tree|
Wills and Probate Records: A Guide for Family Historians
Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837
The Genealogist's Internet: The Essential Guide to Researching Your Family History Online
Family Photographs 1860-1945 (Public Record Office Genealogist's Guides)
Family Photographs and How to Date Them
Writing Your Family History: A Practical Guide