Cannon Street Station
Cannon Street - card posted 1901
Cannon Street was originally known as Candlewick Street and was once the site of a Roman
Milestone. Since the 19th century it has been synonymous with Cannon Street Station. The 'Cannon Street Extension Railway'
was opened in September 1866, linking the area to Charing Cross and London Bridge. The station building was designed
by Sir John Hawkshaw and J.W. Barry. It incorporated two Wren-style towers facing the River Thames. Between the towers
stood a 700 ft long iron train shed with a single arch of iron and glass. A hotel and forecourt designed by E.M. Barry
was added in 1867.
Cannon Street Terminus From River Bridge - old postcard
The South Eastern & Chatham Railway (SE&CR) existed between 1899 and 1923 when it became part of the
Southern Railway. It had a virtual monopoly of railway routes throughout Kent.