Charing Cross Station
Charing Cross Station and Strand - old postcard
Charing Cross Station was opened in 1864 by the Southern Eastern Railway. It took the railway from London Bridge
and Kent across the teams and into the heart of London. Charing Cross is named after the medieval Eleanor Cross that had once
stood nearby. The Victorians erected a new cross in the forecourt of the station.
Charing Cross Station, South Eastern & Chatham Railway - old postcard
The South Eastern & Chatham Railway (SE&CR) existed between 1899 and 1923 when it became part of the
Southern Railway. It had a virtual monopoly of railway routes throughout Kent.
Charing Cross - Edwardian postcard sent to Belgium