Church of St Michael and All Angels, Llanfihangel Talyllyn
Graveyard with Price and Thomas of Oakfield graves
The Family of Tom James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas, Llanfihangel Talyllyn
Compiled by Alan James Price (email@example.com)
Thomas (Tom) James Price was the son of James Price and Jane James. The 1861 census shows him as Thomas J. Price aged 6 at Cloth Hall Row, Forchaman (Aberaman), Aberdare, Glamorgan but born in Tredegar, Monmouthshire.
Engine driver Thomas James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas were married on August 7 1880 at the parish church in Llanfihangel Talyllyn, witnessed by John Thomas, Isabel Price and W H Price. Tom James Price's father was given as James George Price, grocer, and Rosa's father as Thomas Thomas, farmer. She was one of the Thomas family of Oakfield farm, Llanfihangel Talyllyn, Breconshire (Brecknockshire or Sir Frycheiniog in Welsh). In the 1881 census, Thomas Price, 26, was living at 3 Cobbs Cottages, Llanfihangel Talyllyn, Breconshire with wife Roza M., 25, born Llanfihangel parish, infant daughter Mary I. Price and Thomas' sister Isabella S. Price, 23, a servant (out of place). Thomas James Price and Rosa Madia Price established a home at Wern Cottage, Llanfihangel Talyllyn. Tom Price was a railway engine driver and was bilingual. Rosa and their children were brought up speaking only English.
Thomas James Price died on March 23 1914 and was interred in Llanfihangel churchyard on March 26. His wife Rosa Madia Price died at 81 Woodlands Road, Barry, Glamorgan aged 80 and was buried in Llanfihangel Talyllyn on December 2 1935.TALYLLYN. Death.-We regret to record the death of Mr Tom Price, Griffin terrace, formerly driver in the employ of the B. and M. Railway Company. Deceased was at the time of his death agent for the Breconshire Coal and Lime Company at Talyllyn, and passed away after a painful illness of about three weeks duration. The funeral (a public one) will be on Thursday at 2.30 o'clock. The greatest sympathy is felt for the widow and family in their sad bereavement. (Brecon and Radnor Express March 26 1914)LLANFIHANGEL-TALYLLYN.
THE LATE MR THOMAS PRICE - Llanfihangel talyllyn has, in the death of Mr Thomas Price, Griffin Terrace, Talyllyn, lost a good Church worker. For 30 years the deceased had been an employee of the Brecon and Merthyr Railway Company, and for the past five or six years had been agent for the Breconshire Coal and Lime Company at Talyllyn. He had been in ill-health for some time, and after a short but severe illness died early on Monday, March 23rd. He was laid to rest on Thursday, March 26th, at Llanfihangel. Sympathy with the widow and family was shown by the large number of people who met at Talyllyn and accompanied the funeral to the Church, among who were a number of Brecon and Merthyr employees. Among the immediate relatives and friends present at the burial service were: Mrs Millington, Mrs Lockhart, Miss R M Price and Miss R E Price (daughters), Mr and Mrs J Price (son and daughter-in-law), Mr and Mrs J W Price (son and daughter-in-law), Mr and Mrs T H Price (son and daughter-in law), Mr George Price, Mr Arthur Price, Mr Stanley Price, Mr Sydney Price, Mr Rees Price (sons), Mrs Leek and Miss Price (sisters), Mr W Morris (nephew), Mr and Mrs Chandler, Mr and Mrs Thomas Thomas (brothers and sisters in-law), Mrs Thomas, Oakfield (sister-in-law), Mr John Thomas. Mr David Thomas, and Mr David Jones (brothers in-law), Mrs George Perry Price and Mr Arthur Thomas (cousins), Mr Fenn (agent for the Breconshire Coal Company and Mr Williams, Tyllyn, Llangorse). Mr Millington (son-in-law) was unable to attend through illness. Wreaths were sent by the widow and children, Mr and Mrs G R Millington, Mr and Mrs W J Price and family, Mr and Mrs J W Price and family, Mr and Mrs Chandler and family, and the Brecon Branch of the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants. Hymns 264 and 399) and the Nunc Dimittis were sang in Church, and "On the Resurrection morn" at the graveside. Mrs Price has been the recipient of many expressions of sympathy. (Brecon County Times April 2 1914)
Tom James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas grave
Close-up of Tom James Price memorial
Descendants of Tom James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas
- Mary Jane Price (March 8 1880- March 21 1952). She married George Rowland Millington (November 24 1866- February 8 1944) in Sept Quarter 1908. The Free BMD image and transcription are ambiguous but note that her sister Rosa and brother Rees Price were with them in the 1911 census.
(Hereford Times November 30 1912) GENERAL Wanted at once, small country house; 2 in family; plain cooking, washing; reference required; state wages. - Mrs Millington, Llangorse, Llanfihangel Talyllyn, Breconshire.
Similar advertisements appeared in the Brecon County Times in September 1914 and August 1917, Mary Jane and George Millington were at 2 Heath Terrace, Leamington Spa in 1939 when George was a retired farmer. Both died in Leamington Spa with no known children.
- Rosa Madia Price (November 18 1881-1950, died Cardiff). She was with sister Mary Jane Millington in 1911 and married Francis John Lewis (1873- 9 November 1925, died Cardiff Royal Infirmary) a 42-year-old widower from Roath, Cardiff in Llanfihangel Talyllyn on August 2 1915.WEDDING.- A wedding of much local interest was solemnised at the Parish Church on Monday last. The contracting parties were Miss R. M. Price, second daughter of the late Mr Tom Price and Mrs T. Price, of Griffin Terrace, Talyllyn, and Mr J. F. Lewis, of Roath, Cardiff. The bride, who was neatly attired in a navy blue costume with a pale blue hat and trimmed with ruche, was given away by her brother, Mr Jack Price, of Abercanaid. She was attended by her youngest sister. Miss Rhoda Price as bridesmaid. The rector, Rev. T. C. Richards, performed the ceremony. A reception was held at the home of the bride, after which the happy couple left for Cardiff, where the honeymoon is being spent. Mr and Mrs Lewis were the recipients of many valuable and costly wedding presents. (Brecon and Radnor Express, August 5 1915)
Francis John's Administration gives his address as 41 Metal-street, Roath and his effects as £197 9s. 4d. left to widow Rosa Madia Lewis. She was at the same address in 1939.
- Annie Isabella Price (1883-1936) a dressmaker at home in 1901. She married Sydney James Lockhart (1885-1939) in Rochford in 1912. They had Sydney James R Lockhart (October 25 1912-1978) and Eric Ernest W Lockhart (November 22 1914-1981), also in Rochford. Sydney and Eric were at 15 Vincent Close, Thurrock, Essex in 1939 when Sydney was a Toys Stationery Salesman and Eric was an Insurance Agent. Sydney junior married Irene Cynthia Reynolds (April 3 1917-1985) in 1940 - she was a typist at a petroleum refinery in 1939. Eric married Margaret Mcclure in 1950.
- William James Price (born February 28 1884-1952, died Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire) a railway clerk at home in 1901. In 1911 he was a colliery workman at 14 Albert Street Merthyr Tydfil with wife Mary Anne Thomas (May) (December 2 1885- May 12 1946, died Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire) born Dowlais, Glamorgan and children William Clifford Price (January 7 1907- ) and Phillip Henry Price (15 July 1908- 14 May 1969, died Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire) both born Dowlais. They also had Gertrude Nicholls (c.1901- ) adopted daughter, born Newport. In the 1950s a family list gave W J Price's address as 3 Great North Road, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire which was the address they were at in 1939. Also on the 1939 Register was Florence Price (surname crossed out and replaced by Thomas, in lower case) born September 21 1904). Phillip Henry was at 25 Marble Hall, Milford Haven at the time of death.
- John Walter Price (Jack) (born May 1 1885-1959) was a colliery clerk living at 26 Nightingale St, Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan in 1911 with wife Lilian Jenkins (c.1891-1939) and 8 month-old daughter. More about the family of John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins.
- Thomas Henry Price (born April 5 1886- February 15 1964) who was a Newsboy (hawk) at home in 1901 and with William James Price in Merthyr Tydfil in 1911 census. Tom Price lived at 8 Alberta St, Merthyr Vale in the 1950s. He married Ruth Roberts (December 29 1890-1956) Dec Quarter 1911 in Merthyr Tydfil and had children including:
- Ruth May Price (March 12 1912-1984) married Solomon Schratsky (February 13 1911- October 19 1944) Dec Quarter 1932 in Bethnal Green, London. Solomon died serving as a private with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers during the Western European Campaign. He was buried in the Schoonselhof Cemetery in Belgium (Commonwealth War Graves Commission).
- Annie Gladys Price (July 30 1913-1976) married John Nichols (1910-1998) Dec Quarter 1934 in Southwark, London. She was at 11 Alberta Street in 1939 with children, including Raymond J Nichols (September 13 1935 - ).
- Margaret Beryl Price (January 5 1916- March 8 1991) married David Morgan (December 13 1915- December 2 1985) Sep Quarter 1937 in Merthyr Tydfil. Resided at 11 Alberta St, Merthyr Vale, Merthyr Tydfil in 1939 and at death.
- Sarah Anne Price (December 19 1917-1972) married George Thomas (November 24 1915-1981) June Quarter 1938 in Merthyr Tydfil. They were at 11 Alberta Street in 1939.
- Marion Rosa Price (1923-1998) married William Griffiths (?)
- Thomas Henry Raymond Price (1925-1979, died Bramalea, Ontario) married Doreen Crook (1925-1981, died Orangeville, Ontario) 1947 in Merthyr Tydfil.
- Florence Elizabeth Price (November 5 1927- May 1996) married William Roland Thomas (1927-2008) Dec Quarter 1946 in Merthyr Tydfil.
- David Bertram Price (February 26 1931- )
- Gertrude Maud Price born August 8 1887 and buried on October 27 1887.
- George Price (October 8 1888- ) with William James Price in Merthyr Tydfil in 1911 census. He married Sarah Bridget Toomey (January 10 1890-1969) in Dec Quarter 1915. They lived at 4 High St, Abercanaid in 1939 and the 1950s. They had:
- Annie Margaret Price born Sept Quarter 1916.
- Betty Price (December 7 1917- ) married Cyril Griffiths in 1945.
- Marjorie Price born Dec Quarter 1921.
- Delia Price (October 9 1926- ). A Delia Price died in Merthyr Tydfil in June Quarter 1948 aged 21.
Arthur Price (1890-1951) born May 16 1890 (on parish register). He was a colliery coal tipper living with John Walter Price in 1911. He married Elizabeth Ann Davies (1894-1949) born 36 Gethin St, Abercanaid on January 21 1894. Arthur and Elizabeth Ann moved to the Welsh-speaking villages of Cwmgors and Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen in West Glamorgan. Arthur died on October 14 1951; Elizabeth died June 12 1949. Arthur and Elizabeth had 5 children. More about the family of Arthur Price and Elizabeth Ann Davies Stanley Price (1891-) born September 26 1891 and baptised June 8 1892 at Llanfair Talyllyn. He was a railway crossing keeper in Malmesbury, Wiltshire in 1939 with wife Beatrice May Ashfield (August 16 1903-1975). They had 6 children, including:
- Prudence Ashfield Price (1922- February 2011; born in Merthyr Tydfil) married New Zealander Leonard Percy Fenton (c.1915- March 2 2013; died Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand) and had a son and daughter.
- Stanley Thomas Ashfield Price (August 8 1926- February 1994; born in Merthyr Tydfil, died North Walsham, Norfolk, England).
- Elizabeth Belva Ashfield Price (April 10 1941- August 6 1989; born Cirencester, died Hereford)
- Alfred M Ashfield Price (1943-1943; born Cirencester, died Cardiff.)
Sidney Price - On back 'To Arthur and Annie With Best Love 1917'
Sidney Price - On back 'To Arthur and Annie With Best Love Sid 1921'
Sidney Price (February 7 1893- April 1 1941) was a colliery labourer on surface living with John Walter Price in 1911. He joined the Royal Navy as a stoker on January 1 1914 and retired a Chief Petty Officer in 1935 (21 years service) to run the Wyndham Inn in Plymouth. He married Charlotte Kathleen Serjeant (May 12 1903-1979) born Bodmin, Cornwall in September Quarter 1928. They had Joan E.K. Price (January 1 1930- ) in Plymouth, Devon who married Norman Taylor in 1952. Sidney died on April 1 1941, address given as 21 Anstio-street, Plymouth. Effects £585 8s 8d. probate granted to Charlotte Kathleen Price, widow. Charlotte married Lewis Barratt (1916-2003) in 1952. They lived at 73 Bridewell Road, Camels Head, Plymouth.HOME ON LEAVE. -We are pleased to see home on a few days' leave 1st class Stoker 1 Sidney Price, of one of H.M. warships. Price is a son of the late Mr Tom Price and Mrs Price, Griffin Terrace, and served nearly three years in the Navy. He has seen service in the Dardanelles and other places and in spite of his arduous duties he looks fit and well (Brecon County Times, October 26 1916).
Sidney Price and family at Paignton
Sidney Price - On back 'This isnt a very good photo of our car, but its all I've got left at present. It is myself seated inside. Sid'
Rhoda Elizabeth Price (1894-1968) was baptised in 1908 but her baptism record shows her date of birth as May 15 1894. She was with her parents in 1911. She married 26-year-old railway clerk Arthur Powell (April 25 1893-1954) on February 16 1920. Both were living in Griffith Terrace, Talyllyn. Arthur was the son of engine driver Elijah Powell (1853-1911) and Martha Probert (1856- ). Arthur died on November 11 1954, address given as 9 Millwood-rise, Barry. Probate to Rhoda Elizabeth Powell, effects £1008 12s 10d. On June 2 1959 a Rhoda Powell born 15 May 1894 travelled to Montreal from Southampton on the Cunard Saxonia with Mary Moore and Edith Jones (both born June 1 1893) all giving their last UK address as 9 Millwood Rise, Barry, Glamorgan. Rhoda returned on the SS Empress of Britain (Canadian Pacific) to Liverpool arriving 25th August 1959. Mary Moore (on the same ship) gave her UK address as 27 Oxford St., Barry and date of birth as June 3 1888; Edith D Jones the address of Plas, Llangorse, Breconshire and date of birth June 1 1893. Whereas they had been shown as M (married) on the trip to Canada, they were S (single, including widowed) on the return journey. Edith was Edith Diana Williams widow of J R Jones. Mary Moore was probably her sister Mary Rebecca Williams (1888-1979) widow of Charles Edmund Moore.
Rhoda and Arthur had daughters including Phyllis E Powell (December 10 1920- ) who married Leslie W. Millward in 1948.
Arthur Powell and Rhoda Price
Headstone of Elijah and Martha Powell, Llanfihangel Talyllyn
David Price was given a private baptism on November 15 1895 and buried on November 19 1895 aged 2 months.
Rees Price (1897-1951) was baptised in 1908 but his baptism record shows his date of birth as December 11 1897. He was with sister Mary Jane Millington in 1911. He died on December 3 1951 and was buried on December 6 at Llanfihangel Talyllyn with the address on his gravestone given as 6 Dingat Terrace, Llandovery. He was a Railway Clearing House Clerk at that address in 1939. His wife Annie Gwendoline Davies (September 4 1889-1991) died on January 18 1991. They had a son.
Rees and Annie Gwendoline Price grave - immediately in front of Tom James Price
From Gwen and Gordon
To contribute, query or comment please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
More Genealogy Articles
|Tracing Family History|
|Your Family History|
|Organizing Family History|
|The Victorian Apprentice|
|The Victorian Character Reference|
|Victorian Appointments - including the Admiralty and Custom House|
|More Victorian Appointments - including the Inland Revenue, Post Office, Bank of England and East India House|
|A Victorian Domestic Servant|
|The Victorian Employment Relationship|
|Walter Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Lucy Penny nee Leach|
|Daniel Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Philip Walter and Susannah Trotman|
|William Gillett - Brailes, Warwickshire|
|John Gillett - Brailes and Cheltenham|
|The Family of Mary Walter and Edwin Oliver Locke|
|Albert Walter - Illinois|
|Hugh and Robert Walter - Kansas|
|David Walter - Babcary and Swansea|
|Family of Thomas Rosser of Coychurch, Glamorgan|
|Caroline Walter and William Whittle|
|Benjamin Walter - Slough and Eton|
|Gaius Penny Walter - Somerton and Southsea|
|Susanna Walter and Philip George Hayes|
|Jacob Walter and Eliza Gillett|
|Henry Walter - Liverpool|
|Jacob Walter - London and Liverpool|
|Harold Philip Mcleod Walter|
|Horne Family - Careby, Lincolnshire|
|The Horne Family of Combe, Oxfordshire|
|Caroline Williams - St Hilary, Glamorgan|
|William Thomas Davies - Brynaman, Glamorgan and Perth, WA|
|Davies Family - Lower Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|John James, Grosmont|
|James Price and Jane James - Cwmyoy and Grosmont|
|Tom James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins, Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil|
|William and Mary Williams, Cayo|
|John and Susanna Davies, Llansadwrn, Cayo|
|Arthur Price and Elizabeth Ann Davies, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen|
|Thomas family, Oakfield, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|Prosser family, Talgarth|
|John Jones and Rebecca Thomas, Cwmaman|
|Thomas and Jemimah Jones - Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|Thomas Family - Banwen, Glanaman, Carmarthenshire|
|John Jones and Mary James, Clydau, Cilrhedin, Llanelli|
|Rees Rees of South Wales, Illinois and Iowa|
|Samuel and Sarah Jones - Llanelli, Ebbw Vale, Glanaman|
|Hannah and William D John - South Wales and Scranton, Pa|
|Daniel Jones and Anne Rees|
|Mary Jones and Watkin Williams|
|Barber Family of South Stoneham|
|Letter from Elizabeth Saffhill 1927|
|Saffhill Family Tree|
Wills and Probate Records: A Guide for Family Historians
Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837
The Genealogist's Internet: The Essential Guide to Researching Your Family History Online
Family Photographs 1860-1945 (Public Record Office Genealogist's Guides)
Family Photographs and How to Date Them
Writing Your Family History: A Practical Guide