Descendants of William and Mary Williams of Cayo
Compiled by Alan James Price (email@example.com)
Arthur and Elizabeth Ann Price
Daniel and Gwenllian Rees
William Williams (c.1805- ) of Pantadam, Conwyl Cayo married Mary Jones (1803- ) also born Conwyl Cayo. (Note: This William is not the son of William Conwil - will and census reconcile to another William Williams.) This may be the marriage of William Williams, Llwyn-fallen and Mary John on the 29th December 1829, witnessed by Thomas Williams and David William. They had known children:
- Mary Williams (c.1830- ) who married Thomas Evans (1826- ; born Troedyrhiw, Llanddewi Brefi, Cardiganshire) at Llandovery Register Office in 1857. By 1871 Thomas and Mary were at 1 Edwards Place, Aberdare, Glamorgan when Thomas was a labourer underground. In the 1881 census the family were at 86 Yew Street, Merthyr Tydfil and 42 Bridge Street in 1891. Children were:
- Margaret Evans (1855- ) who was baptised in Conwyl Cayo on 21st August 1855 as their illegitimate daughter. Mary's address was given as Pantadam. Margaret was probably the servant at Pantadam in 1871 with Mary's sister Gwenllian.
- Daniel Evans (1858- , born Llanfairarybryn) was with his grandparents at Pantadam in 1861 and a 12-year-old coal miner in Aberdare in 1871. By 1901, Daniel Evans was alone in Bridge Street working as a hairdresser. In 1911 he was an inmate in Merthyr Tydfil workhouse.
- William Evans (c.1859, born Llanfairarybryn) was a doorkeeper underground in Aberdare in 1871, a coal miner at Yew Street in 1881.
- Mary Evans (c.1868) born Aberdare.
- Rachel Evans (c.1871) born Aberdare.
- Elizabeth Jane Evans (15 January 1875-17 August 1956) born in Merthyr Tydfil. She married Thomas Joshua Edwards (1868-5 May 1935), also born Merthyr Tydfil. She was widowed and alone at 11 Elm Street, Troedyrhiw in 1939 and was at the same address when she died. Probate was granted to William Thomas Edwards, builders ganger and Frederick Oswald Edwards, Chief Petty Officer, RN. They had:
- William Thomas Edwards (1897- )
- Annie Maud Edwards (1898- )
- Ernest George Edwards (10 April 1900-1965) who married Hannah Moore (9 March 1900 - ). They had children including Teresa Edwards (15 January 1932-1976). They were at 28 Tenth Avenue, Merthyr Tydfil in 1939 when Ernest was a general labourer.
- Edwin Daniel Edwards (1903-1996)
- Simon Arthur Edwards (1907-1982)
- Walter John Edwards (1910-1911)
- Frederick Oswald Edwards (23 August 1912-1986, died Torbay, Devon).
- John Williams (c.1836- ) Shown as 15 in the 1851 census.
- Gwenllian Williams (1843-1874, born Cayo). On November 28 1868 Gwenllian married Lewis Davies (May 22 1845- 20 February 1895, born Llannon, Cardiganshire, buried Lot 118, Jerusalem Cemetery, Waukesha, Wisconsin). On the marriage certificate she is shown as Gwenllian Williams, spinster living at Pantadam, father William Williams a farmer. Gwenllian had four known children:
- Mary Williams (11 April 1865 - 12 April 1919, born Pantadam, Cayo) was the daughter of Gwenllian Williams and an unknown father (father's name blank on birth certificate}. On Mary's wedding certificate for her marriage to Timothy Davies, Mary's father was named as William Williams (Merchant seaman). However, William Williams was the name of her grandfather and there is no evidence that a seaman of the same name ever existed. In 1891 she was a general servant at the Gethin Arms in Lower Merthyr Tydfil (Abercanaid). Mary Williams married Timothy Davies (22 January 1858 - 5 November 1918,born in Felindre, Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire) in Merthyr Tydfil on 23 February 1892. Timothy Davies had been staying with his uncle Jacob Davies at 11 Canal Row, Abercanaid. See The family of John and Susanna Davies for more about Timothy's ancestry. In 1901 and 1911 they lived at 36 Gethin Street, Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil when Timothy was a collier. They had:
Elizabeth Ann Davies
- Elizabeth Ann Davies (1894-1949) born Abercanaid, died Gwaun Cae Gurwen. She married Arthur Price (1890-1951) and had a number of children. See The family of Arthur and Annie Price.
- Gwenllian Davies (1895-1964) born Abercanaid, died on June 24 1964 in Swansea Hospital while resident at 27 Abernant Road, Cwmgors. She was a milkmaid on the 1911 census. She married collier Daniel Rees (1893-1968) and had May Rees (1918-1941) and Glyndwr Rees (1919-1978) in Cwmgors. Both died unmarried and without children. May apparently had meningitis when she was a nurse at a Swansea hospital.
May and Glyndwr Rees
Dan and Gwen Rees
May Rees and Annie Price
- Gwenllian Williams subsequently had William Lewis Davies (July 12 1869 - September 5 1927) with Lewis Davies. William Lewis Davies was naturalized a US citizen on May 3 1915 having arrived in the USA in 1881 according to the 1900 census. He married Mary (May) Davies (1867-1942) on April 8 1896 and had:
- Gwen Davies (1899-1985)
- Gwilym Davies (1902-1982). He married Doris E. Williams (1910-2007) (see obituary) August 29 1931. They were medical missionaries in Cameroon, West Africa before returning to the Waukesha, Wisconsin area. They had five daughters.
- Evan Bowen Davies (1904-1979), physician. Married dentist Margaret Mary McFarlane (1911-1967) June 21 1938. They had 5 children.
- Llewellyn A Davies (1908-1992, died Long Beach, Los Angeles, California). Married Margaret Jane Morris (1909-2007) on June 27 1935.
- John Davies (1870- ) also with Lewis Davies. On 1871 census aged 5 months at Panatadam, Cayo. Lewis Davies had another John with his second wife, suggesting that this John Davies died young.
- Hannah Mary Davies (1872- ). On 1881 census as a granddaughter aged 8 with grandparents John and Ann Pugh in Cayo.
After Gwenllian's death, Lewis Davies married Anne Pugh (1852-1918) in 1875 and had a number of other children. The Davies family emigrated to Waukesha County, Wisconsin, USA and are recorded in Welsh Pioneers of Waukesha County. Mary Williams did not go with them.
The following poem celebrating their marriage was published in Seren Cymru 30 April 1875:
Ar briodas MR LEWIS DAVIES, Pantadam, a
Miss ANNE PUGH, Penlan y ddau o blwyf
Ar ol bod yn weddw annyddan,
Yn byw ar oer aelwyd ei hun,
Ei gysur ar goll oedd yn mhobman,
Edrychai ei lygaid am fun;
Canfyddodd un ddel a wresogodd
Ei fynwes o gariad 'r ail waith;
Ymunodd a geneth fwyn ffyddlon,
I gydfyw er gwell ac er gwaeth.
Dwy galon a unwyd a'u gilydd,
Mewn heddwch dros byth y bo rhai'n,
Yn anwyl a hoff byddont beunydd,
I'w poeni na ddeled cas ddrain;
Rhagluniaeth a'i gwenau fo arnynt
Wrth redeg eu gyrfa yn nghyd,
A ffrwythed yr undeb, o rinwedd
Tra fyddont hwy byw yn y byd.
IOAN AP TOMOS
To contribute, query or comment please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
More Genealogy Articles
|Tracing Family History|
|Your Family History|
|Organizing Family History|
|The Victorian Apprentice|
|The Victorian Character Reference|
|Victorian Appointments - including the Admiralty and Custom House|
|More Victorian Appointments - including the Inland Revenue, Post Office, Bank of England and East India House|
|A Victorian Domestic Servant|
|The Victorian Employment Relationship|
|Walter Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Lucy Penny nee Leach|
|Daniel Walter Family - Babcary, Somerset|
|Philip Walter and Susannah Trotman|
|William Gillett - Brailes, Warwickshire|
|John Gillett - Brailes and Cheltenham|
|The Family of Mary Walter and Edwin Oliver Locke|
|Albert Walter - Illinois|
|Hugh and Robert Walter - Kansas|
|David Walter - Babcary and Swansea|
|Family of Thomas Rosser of Coychurch, Glamorgan|
|Caroline Walter and William Whittle|
|Benjamin Walter - Slough and Eton|
|Gaius Penny Walter - Somerton and Southsea|
|Susanna Walter and Philip George Hayes|
|Jacob Walter and Eliza Gillett|
|Henry Walter - Liverpool|
|Jacob Walter - London and Liverpool|
|Harold Philip Mcleod Walter|
|Horne Family - Careby, Lincolnshire|
|The Horne Family of Combe, Oxfordshire|
|Caroline Williams - St Hilary, Glamorgan|
|William Thomas Davies - Brynaman, Glamorgan and Perth, WA|
|Davies Family - Lower Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|John James, Grosmont|
|James Price and Jane James - Cwmyoy and Grosmont|
|Tom James Price and Rosa Madia Thomas, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|John Walter Price and Lilian Jenkins, Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil|
|William and Mary Williams, Cayo|
|John and Susanna Davies, Llansadwrn, Cayo|
|Arthur Price and Elizabeth Ann Davies, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen|
|Thomas family, Oakfield, Llanfihangel Talyllyn|
|Prosser family, Talgarth|
|John Jones and Rebecca Thomas, Cwmaman|
|Thomas and Jemimah Jones - Brynaman, Glamorgan|
|Thomas Family - Banwen, Glanaman, Carmarthenshire|
|John Jones and Mary James, Clydau, Cilrhedin, Llanelli|
|Rees Rees of South Wales, Illinois and Iowa|
|Samuel and Sarah Jones - Llanelli, Ebbw Vale, Glanaman|
|Hannah and William D John - South Wales and Scranton, Pa|
|Daniel Jones and Anne Rees|
|Mary Jones and Watkin Williams|
|Barber Family of South Stoneham|
|Letter from Elizabeth Saffhill 1927|
|Saffhill Family Tree|
Wills and Probate Records: A Guide for Family Historians
Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837
The Genealogist's Internet: The Essential Guide to Researching Your Family History Online
Family Photographs 1860-1945 (Public Record Office Genealogist's Guides)
Family Photographs and How to Date Them
Writing Your Family History: A Practical Guide